Tuesday, February 6, 2007

WetPaint Pt II

As a corollary to my previous post about WetPaint, I had a meeting with these guys earlier this week about possible employment.

I mentioned some of my previously mentioned concerns that this is more an evolutionary play than a revolutionary one.

Their pitch was that the "wiki" aspect of their free websites--allowing others to edit or add pages on your website--is the secret sauce that differentiates them from other social networking sites that offer websites (read: MySpace). I'm still skeptical.

The real value of something like this is to build out the content and information "tail" and become an interactive version of Wikipedia, but with a greater toward hobbies than factual information. However, most of the WetPaint sites I've perused have precious little information and member participation. Maybe it's too early to count them out yet, but I'm still skeptical.

No comments: