Thursday, January 18, 2007

Seattle Restaurant Social Network Startup

I had heard about this startup and then read a little more on John Cook's Blog the other day. The company is Menuism. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see this site as anything all that valuable for the following reasons:

1) No real differentiation from CitySearch or Zagat. If I want to find restaurant ratings on criteria such as price, food quality, service level, etc, this data already exists.

2) Many, including myself, don't eat out enough to make finding (and sharing) this kind of information that valuable. Put another way, if I eat out once a month at a nice restaurant, the cost of a bad decision isn't terribly high such that I am willing to take chances and experiment with different restaurants. The worst that can happen is I'm out 50 bucks and I had a nice night out with my wife. But, is a restaurant's food and ambiance worth spending numerous sessions per week writing about and discussing? For restaurant aficionados, perhaps. For me, definitely not.

In short, those spent enough time at restaurants may care to participate. To me, this is another example of a very niche social network that never gets truly broad review and content because it will probably never reach the critical mass of users to contribute. And besides, this information is already largely available.

1 comment:

Michael, CEO FohBoh said...

Then check out fohboh.com... a better restaurant-centric social network focusing on B2B.